Same sex adoption as it is most commonly referred to or LGBT adoption simply means the adoption of a child by a lesbian, gay, bisexual or trans-gendered couple. In the past, gay couples have had to be secretive in adopting a child due to certain prejudices that existed against homosexuality. For example, one partner would adopt the child as a single parent and the other would pretend to be a roommate or friend.
Currently in Canada a gay couple can legally marry and they are allowed to adopt, but in the United States it is dependent upon each individual state. Here is a sample of countries and states where same sex adoption is legal and where it is prohibited. Some of the latest statistics on gay adoption. To date, all research in the area of same sex adoption has come to the same conclusion:
1. The children of LGBT parents grow up as successfully as heterosexual parents. In fact, not a single study has found that children of gay or lesbian couples to be disadvantaged because of their parent’s sexual orientation.
2. There is no evidence to suggest that gay or lesbian couples are unfit to be parents.
3. Home environments with LGBT couples are as likely to successfully support a child’s development as those with heterosexual parents.
4. Good parenting is not influenced by sexual orientation. Rather, it is influenced most profoundly by a parent’s ability to create a loving and nurturing home – an ability that does not depend on whether a parent is gay or straight.
5. There is no evidence to suggest that the child of a gay or lesbian couple is less intelligent, suffers more from problems, is less popular or has a lower self-esteem than a child of a heterosexual couple. 6. The children of LGBT parents grow up just as happy, healthy and well-adjusted as the children of heterosexual parents.
So , Are there any different laws or guidelines for same sex adoption? According to the Child Welfare League of American and the North American Council on Adoptable Children, they both state that gay adoptions should be evaluated just like adoptions of all other applicants. However, some people feel that a child needs both a mother and a father, they also think that if a child is raised in a same sex environment they will be teased in school. They believe that some gay men are pedophiles and that kids should’t have to be exposed to such behavior and the list goes on. There are over 500,000 children in foster care, more than 20% of them will become eligible for adoption, if they aren't adopted by loving homes, they will age out of the system and sometimes go back to the abusive pasts that they came from. Gay couples adopt children for the same reason as straight couples or even single parents do - to provide for, love, and raise another human being. Isn't that what really matters?
Connie McKenzie is a part-time work at home mom. She has two beautiful adopted girls and a wonderful husband. My site offers foster care and adoption information, as well as lots of useful resources for those wishing to adopt a child. Child Adoption Matters because as her daughter says, "Child adoption does matter, mommy!